The blog

This section is dedicated to the world of Verdicchio: in it you will find the latest news about the museum activities and everything involved in that ecosystem made up of traditions, people and the environment which make our Verdicchio such a unique wine in the world. There is also an in-depth study section entirely dedicated to our beloved wine all under the supervision of Prof. Ceccarelli, a well-known historian from the Marches and an expert on these lands.

The Abbey of Saint Benedict in Castelplanio

The Abbey of Saint Benedict in Castelplanio

By museosartarelli on 20 March 2018 in History

The Abbey is commonly called the “badia” but it is officially the Abbey of Saint Benedict de’ Frondigliosi from Castelplanio. Mentioned in books for the first time in 1199, the abbey belonged to the Abbey of Saint Helena on the Esino river. Its ancient core dates back to around the year 1000, two centuries before its name could be found in books. The rest of the construction scheme follows the structure of the castle below, which was formed and consolidated during the 13th and 14th centuries. In the meantime the meanwhile the Benedictine monks began to lose their power so much that the troops of Jesi decided to attack them in 1294. From then on the monks most probably no longer lived there. In 1457 it became property of the bishops of Jesi and as their summer residency various alterations were made to adapt it to their needs.
Among these bishops was Cardinal Camillo Borghese, future Pope Paul V (1605-1621), and Bishop of the City of Jesi at that time for just two years (1597-1599) stayed at the abbey for about 15 days in July 1598. He lived in Rome and ruled over the diocese through his general Vicar. He was the first one of a series of bishops who honored the diocese of Jesi by wearing the purple garment (distinctive color of the Cardinals) in the Vatican from 1600 to the second half of the 19th century. The last one to inhabit the abbey was Cardinal Carlo Luigi Morichini, bishop of Jesi, from 1854 to 1871. He had a predilection for the “badia” because of the peace and serenity which could be enjoyed there. The sociologist and diocesan pastor as well poet, who wrote poems in Latin, Carlo Luigi Morichini, founded a literary club together with some of the most cultured priests of the diocese with whom he spent his days talking about culture in Latin. In one of his Epistolae (letters), the No. 7 (verses 32-34) dedicated to Castelplanio “Arx Planina”, he writes “non ego certe / Planinispernam collis tua munera, Bacche” i.e. ” it certainly will not be me the one, who will not appreciate, oh Baccus, the gifts you donated to the hills of Castelplanio”. This clearly refers to the vineyards, as well as to the wine which they produced, and which surrounded the “badia” already in the 17th and 18th centuries so as a painting and map of that time shows us. Even today Morichini’s poems which are of a very bucolic-Virgilio style mixed with feelings of friendship and familiarity are a source of inspiration.

Prof. Riccardo Ceccarelli

The company and Verdicchio

The company and Verdicchio

By museosartarelli on 19 December 2017 in History

The Sartarelli company has been making Verdicchio wines since 1972 and nothing but Verdicchio is available in its catalogue.

Since the very beginning, the Sartarelli company has always wanted to underline the importance of Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi, one of the main products of our territory. The company has reached a high quality level and it has been rewarded by winning several prestigious national and international prizes.

It has been a precise choice of ours, because our land has been the land of Verdicchio for centuries now. Other varieties which produce very good wines also naturally grow here. But it’s Verdicchio the one which has found its perfect habitat thanks to the excellent geomorphological and geoclimatic conditions, which make it be a non-replicable wine for its organoleptic and olfactory characteristics. Verdicchio in this way is the “gold of our hills” and of the Esino valley, at the heart of the Ancona province and of the Marche Region.

The company was born in a 19th century country house but in June 2017 it opened a new building which hosts the shop and rooms for exhibitions, meetings and events, all surrounded by the rolling hills of Poggio San Marcello.

In this new structure there is an important historical tour called “In Verdicchio Veritas Museum” aiming at retracing the history of Verdicchio as well as explaining the choices made by the company. The visitor is accompanied by interesting texts and documentation regarding the territory of Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi, the presence of vines at roman and medieval times, the specific presence of Verdicchio at the beginning of the 16th century until its progressive growth in the 19th century and its success in the 20th century. Significant images accompany this path, which ends, of course, with a convivial moment with wine and in particular with Verdicchio.

The Truth of Verdicchio and the Truth in Verdicchio.